Simple Mans Apron - Free Tutorial and Pattern
Free tutorial -Beginners Sewing Project - Learn to Sew and Make a Mans Apron
Show off your sewing skills with this sew simple beginners pattern and tutorial
for a mans apron, perfect for the BBQ king, gardener,diy-er, or head chef.
Materials and Equipment
120cm of Denim fabric or firm cotton fabric, I got mine from here
3 meter of cotton tape I got mine here
Eyelets x 1 (I got mine here)
Matching thread or contrast thread, (I used contrast old gold thread for a traditional denim look) pins, tape measure, chalk , ruler and scissors.
Tips for beginners
Seam allowance 1 cm this is the distance between the edge of the fabric and the stitch line. You will find a series of parallel lines engraved on the needle plate of your sewing machine pick the one marked with the measurement you need and keep the edge of the fabric to this guide
RS = right side of fabric WS = wrong side of fabric.
If you are using denim machine-wash your fabric first on a hot wash.
1.Cut out your materials according to the diagram, cut the fabric for the apron , into 72cm width x 111cm length,cut the pocket from the remaining fabric 25 x 38 cm. Leave the pocket to one side and use chalk, a ruler and a tape measure follow the second diagram to make the apron shape.Chalk all the measurements and cutting lines, check, then cut.
2. Fold the apron in half wrong sides together, and sew a line of stitching 1cm from the edge on the fold line, from the top of the apron to the hem of the apron. Press (iron) flat.
3. Sew a second line of stitching from the top of the apron to the hem of the apron as shown in the photo; the second line of stitching needs to be near the folded edge, as shown. On my sewing machine, I can move the needle to sew on the right, of the line of stitching that you have already made, lots of machines have this setting (check your manual)
4.With the wrong side facing, turn the top of the apron, under for 1cm, press into place.
5. Turning the apron to the right side. Fold the top of the apron down for 4cm as shown. Sew this seam using a 2cm seam allowance, keeping the 1cm hem in place, repeat on the other side.
6. Fold the seam back and press into place.
7.Fold the remaining edges under for 1 cm, press, turn again for 1cm press and hold in place with pins.
You should have not raw edges.
8. Leave the apron to one side and start to work on the POCKET. Turn the one of the long edges (36cm) of the pocket under for 1cm, press and repeat. Machine stitch across this turning.
Turn the remaining edges under for 1cm and press.
Pin the pocket onto the apron, the top of the pocket is 36cm from the top of the apron and each edge of the pocket is 16cm from the edge of the apron.
Stitch the 3 edges that you have folded under into place on the apron.
9. Cut the tape into 3 pieces 1 x 90cm Foe the neck and 2x 95cm, for the waist ties.
10. Using the remaining tape slip one end of the tape into the fold seam, 33cm down from the top of the apron,on the side of the apron where you will tie it around your waist, hold in place with pins. Repeat on the other side.
11. Using the tape that measures 90cm, slip one end of the tape into the top edge of the apron between the folded over edge. Hold in place with pins.
12. Talking a 1cm seam allowance stitch around the all the edges of the apron, paying special attention to the apron ties and making sure they are caught in the seam.
13. Mark 3.5cm from the top of the apron on both sides, join the markings on each edge with a chalk line and sew a line of stitching.
Take care to ensure the tape is in the correct place, and that you catch the folded edge too.
14. Fold the ends of each of the 3 pieces of tape under for 2.5cm and turn again for 2.5cm. Stitch into place as follows,
Starting at the right hand corner stitch a square on the end of the folded tape, sew diagonally across the bottom left hand corner along the bottom edge then diagonally, up to the left corner
Finish off with a second line of stitches along the top edge. You may find it helpful to draw the square and lines on first using chalk.
15. Using the manufactures instructions, place the eyelet on the right hand side of the apron (when
the apron is facing you)
16. Pop the kettle on, make a well-deserved cup of tea, sit back and admire your stunning apron.