Gorgeous Eye Mask- download the PDF Pattern
Free tutorial -Beginners sewing project _ learn to sew and make an eye mask.
Materials and Equipment
15 cm x 50cm of cotton fabric, (main fabric) I got mine from here
15 cm x25cm of cotton fabric, (lining) I got mine from here.
15 cm x 25 cm of wadding /batting I got mine here
30cm of 0.5cm elastic
Matching thread, pins, tape measure, safety pin, and scissors, chalk and a ruler.
Optional -Rouleau Tool
Tips for beginners
Pinning the fabric for sewing.
Place the two pieces of fabric together, with right sides facing (the correct side of the fabric) and pin the raw edges together.
Seam allowance 1 cm this is the distance between the edge of the fabric and the stitch line. You will find a series of parallel lines engraved on the needle plate of your sewing machine pick the one marked with the measurement you need and keep the edge of the fabric to this guide.
1.Download, print and cut out the PDF pattern. Pin the pattern onto the main fabric, and cut 1,mark the notches for the placement of the band, repeat cutting out one eye mask from the lining and one from the wadding/batting.
Using your chalk and a ruler, mark as rectangle that measures 4cm x 50cm. Cut out this section.
2. Using the iron press the rectangle in half as shown.
3. Keeping a 1cm seam allowance stitch from one end to the other of the band. Trim the seam to 0.5cm it will make turning the WS to RS easier.
4. Either tie the thread onto a safety pin and drop the pin back down the rectangle, or use a rouleau tool to turn it to the right side.
5. Iron the rectangle/band flat.
6. Attach the safety pin to one end of your elastic, and thread the elastic through the gap at one end. Use a pin to secure the end and stop the elastic being pulled through.
7. Machine stitch a few stitches each end of the elastic and fabric to make it secure.( As shown in the image).
8. With the right side of the fabric facing you pin the band into place using the notches as a guide. Sew over the band on both edges.
9. With the wadding/batting facing you lay the main fabric and band on top of the wadding/batting RS up. Lay the WS facing you and the RS facing the main fabric, pin the 3 layers together.
10. Stitch around the eye mask leaving a small gap (as shown) to turn the eye mask inside out.
11. Using a sharp pair of scissors trim 2 of the seam you have just sewn, as shown, (the batting/wadding and the lining fabric) cut the wadding/batting and the lining to a 0.5cm seam.
12. Turn the eye mask inside out.
13. Using slip stitch and matching tread sew the gap closed.
14. Pat yourself on the back, Congratulations you have just made a gorgeous eye mask to gift or keep.